[conspire] More about Firefox: upcoming default to DNS-over-HTTPS

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 17 05:08:57 PDT 2019

Yes, I'm quite inclined to agree - for both different - and overlapping -
reasons.  DNS over https?  8-O  Perhaps quite well intentioned,
but a *bad* idea.  Well, at least they let you disable that nastiness,
but egad, its enabled by default (and yes, defaults matter - as most
users won't bother to change from defaults).

Some (mostly additional) reasons I think DNS over https is a
bad/stupid idea:
o Solves the "problem"/issue at the wrong place.  What next, have every
   single bloody application/thing/whatever that uses DNS switch to
   having its very own special snowflake implementation of DNS over https
   to use - or lets do DNS some other way or over some other transport?
   What could *possibly go wrong*?  Egad!
o WTF, how will one reliably diagnose, isolate, and fix any DNS or even
   *potential* DNS issues with, e.g. browser, if now it's doing its own
   internal DNS over https?  Egad.  How will one be able to check/verify
   it's not been subverted?
o Does it even know about and properly implement DNSSEC, or will it ignore
   that and make DNS even *less* secure where it's already been
   rather well secured?
o What could possibly go wrong with outsourcing all one's DNS (or even just
   all one's browser DNS) to some specific 3rd party?  Do I smell a nice
   big fat juicy target for a potential major exploit perpetrated by
   external party(/ies)/agent(s) ... or even a nasty inside (or infiltrated)
   job?
o WTF ... latency!  Egad, okay, so sometimes the communication channels may
   be congested and have significant latency (DSL anyone?).  Now you're gonna
   bypass all my lovely DNS - which often very well and efficiently caches,
   and is even often very well secured by DNSSEC, and instead and often
   redundantly run those queries over high-latency HTTPS connections to some
   remote 3rd party?  What were you smoking?

So, yes, DNS over https - bad idea.  Sure, it might (marginally) add some
protection for some, but at a really bad high cost - and false sense of
security while adding additional risks.  Not to mention it's not
fixing/addressing the issue - at least in any reasonably proper way.
Geez.

I tend to think I could come up with apt analogies as to how poor an idea
this is, but I'm just too gobsmacked at what a poor idea it is to give
suitable analogy.