[conspire] (forw) What's going on with Fry's Electronics?

Josef Grosch jgrosch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 16:26:05 PDT 2019

On 9/15/19 3:36 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> This was my earlier reply to Gary.  His initial posting
> (http://www.leibmanland.com/pipermail/lug-nuts/2019-September/051530.html)
> was a lazy handwave lamenting and comparing what he belived the imminent
> demise of Fry's Electronis and Firefox.  His main goal appeared to be to
> scare up help with his Raspberry Pi / Firefox problem, which owed
> ultimately to him having been unaware of the last few years of Firefox
> history.  However, here in my first response, I ignore all Gary's bits
> about Firefox and related what is known about goings-on at Fry's.
>
> (Frankly, I really won't miss Fry's _very_ much if it _does_ all go away.
> It's pretty unsatisfactory compared to Central Computer -- which of
> course isn't an option for Gary up in Sacramento.  For decades, Fry's
> has been acres of stuff I mostly wouldn't want to buy, in which are
> buried a small subset I'd consider.)

[ DELETED ]

My $0.02 on Fry's. When I first came to the Bay Area almost 25 years ago
several of my co-workers at HP turned me on to the Friday sale ads and
the "Fry's Experience", I.E. acres of computers and computer parts and
no one working there having a single clue about anything except taking
your money. And who can forget the door Nazi ?

Central Computer is much better then Fry's, the guys working there are,
for the most part, geeks and know what they are talking about. Today if
I need something and can wait a day or so I get it from Newegg.com. If I
can't wait it's Central Computer and if I happen to be near one the
Fry's I'll try there. The last few times I walked into Fry's they did
not have what I wanted so back to Newegg.

I think the reason Fry's is downsizing is because they are over built.
There are just too many brick and mortar stores with way too much
inventory in a world where anyone with half a clue can buy what ever
computer bits you want over the Intertubes.

I think some of the more successful stores, Sunnyvale and San Jose, will
be around for a while. Palo Alto is looking a bit rode hard and put up wet.

Peace

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       |  Another day closer  |
jgrosch at gmail.com  |  to Redwood Heaven   |  Berkeley, Ca.