[conspire] Fwd: Re: Fw: [scv-crfg] passion fruit

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Sep 1 12:30:28 PDT 2019

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> Personally, I don't like to use "invasive" for plants that are
> delicious.  Oregano can be, shall we say, vigorous, but everyone is
> happy when Rick puts it on garlic bread.

It's not so troublesome as to carpet vast areas and smother all other
plants.  In fact, one place where I planted some under a gala apple
tree, it actually died out after a year!  Meanwhile, the several oregano
patches and two thriving pots with oregano smell heavenly during warm
weather, and are endlessly useful in the kitchen, either fresh-chopped
or put through the food dehydrator for storage.

As I think I've mentioned before, only after planting oregano not only
in the two pots but also in the ground, I arrived at the somewhat
worrisome realisation that oregano's a member of the mint family, and
briefly had visions of having accidentally turned 1105 Altschul Ave into
a 1/3 acre oregano farm.  Fortunately, no, it's not California kudzu.

I also do have two endlessly vigourous spearmint plants -- in pots.
Super-handy for herb tea.

> IMHO, better to have to prune, than to have to coax a plant to grow
> with specific kinds of fertilizer, watering schedules, etc. I now have
> a lemon tree I need to cut back so my caladonin (aka calamansi) can
> get more sun.

Reminds me, Paul:  At your convenience, can we try again with grafting a
cutting from your calamansi onto mine that died the death?  The
rootstock is still going like blazes.