[conspire] Bay Area ISPs for servers/hosting: Re: (forw) Legacy DSL ending at Raw Bandwidth on 12/19/19 - please read carefully!

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 14 21:55:56 PST 2019

Ah, yes, well, I've certainly started my research on options for ISPs,
notably including hosting at home ...
notably including DNS/mail/list server(s).

And ... BALUG next Tu - I've come up with discussion topic ... topical
at that.  I'll likely have website updated and announcements out (well)
before noon tomorrow.  Essentially, something approximating:
Bay Area ISPs for hosting at home / Democratization of The Internet

Most notably, not only discussions of what options are out there,
but the more general issue of most ISPs basically wanting to sell a
"consumer" service - no static IPs - often not even an option for such,
ports not only blocked by default, but some won't allow 'em period (e.g.
TCP port 25).  (I've got unfettered IPv6 (tunneled over IPv4) ... but
alas, not all SMTP TCP port 25 on 'da Internet has or also has IPv6 ...
yet).

Anyway, something approximating that for meeting topic (I've a wee bit 'o
word crafting ahead of me ... notably for web page & announcements).

And, as for my research on ISPs ... have started that fair bit, ...
alas, I don't happen to also already have Comcast Business with static
IP(s) to spare in the residence ... so don't have that path of least
resistance option.  And yeah, for reasons, I'd prefer not Comcast, but ...

Anyway, haven't found an "ideal" solution yet.  Did come across one quite
promising near-miss, though.  Don't know about general quality of the
operation, but at least on the surface, LMi.net seemed highly promising,
... at least for my location in Berkeley.  Just one big issue that's
probably a deal breaker though ... TCP port 25 ... no way to get that
opened, as they resell from Sonic's service, and Sonic is (at least to
them), hell no - not negotiable - on TCP port 25.  *Other* than that,
seemed like it might'a made excellent fit (enough static IPs, reasonable
cost, ample bandwidth, ... mostly unfettered Internet access, ... alas,
notwithstanding TCP port 25).  Anyway, still workin' through what may be
sufficiently viable (and hopefully doesn't suck too much ... like certain
provider(s) I would prefer to avoid).  Anyway, more stuff to discuss
at Tuesday's meeting.  :-)  "Of course" some "discussions" about such
may also happen on-list(s) ... before and/or after meeting, etc.

I still also, just for my own situation, have fair bit more research
to do ... guesimating I'm only about 1/3 of the way to making decision.
Most of 'em have lead times that aren't too horrific, so I don't want
to decide too quickly and without sufficient information - and potentially
regret the decision.  Good ISP service, that that reasonably well covers
my needs and interests ... and those using the services I provide too ...
fairly important to get that "right" ... or, well, at least as close
as feasible.