[conspire] (forw) Re: Firefox Addons Being Disabled Due to an Expired Certificate

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun May 5 12:03:19 PDT 2019

Probably intended to be posted.

----- Forwarded message from Mignon Belongie <mignon.belongie at gmail.com> -----

Date: Sun, 5 May 2019 11:21:38 -0700
From: Mignon Belongie <mignon.belongie at gmail.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [conspire] Firefox Addons Being Disabled Due to an Expired
	Certificate

On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 3:01 AM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Mignon Belongie (mignon.belongie at gmail.com):
>
> > What do you think of Brave?

Me, I don't have strong feelings about _that_, but object to Brave
> Software getting detailed information about what I choose to do on the
> Web. .

This is what they claim (https://brave.com/privacy/#ads):
"If you switch on Brave Rewards and switch on ads (in Rewards settings) you
will see ad notifications, and will receive BAT to reward you for viewing
these ads. While the ads you see are based on your interests, which are
inferred from your browsing, Brave Ads is private and anonymous. The data
are stored on your device, and are entirely inaccessible to us. No personal
data or browsing history ever leaves the Brave browser on your device"

Elsewhere, they say they do this by downloading a whole catalog of ads,
which the browser then selects from based on your browsing.

I will look into ungoogled-chromium , which I had not heard of.

----- End forwarded message -----