[conspire] That costs extra: er, $80,000, in fact

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Fri Mar 29 21:34:26 PDT 2019

 I would think that "most customers requirements" would include not falling out of the sky.

    On Friday, March 29, 2019, 5:10:40 PM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 I wrote:

> This is as good an opportunity as any for me to correct a small error I
> made in the prior post.  I said Boeing 'generously allowed as how
> they'll do that _plus_ they'll throw in the $2.50-cost, probably
> $5,000-priced 'disagree light' as free retrofits'.  That is incorrect.
> They did not offer retrofits at all.  They said the 'disagree light'
> would be thrown in for free on _future_ 737 MAX airframes.

[News sources are giving inconsistent information on the
future-shipments vs. free-retrofit detail.  See footnote 2.]

As it turns out, my cynicism was insufficient to the situation.
_Not_ $5,000, but rather $80,000.  Good grief!  Or, as Marvel's Luke
Cage puts it, 'Sweet Christmas!'

  A U.S. airline source said that feature [the 'disagree light'[1]] would
  cost roughly $80,000 extra on a plane with a list price of about $120
  million.

  On Friday, Boeing issued a new statement, saying:  "All Boeing
  airplanes are certified and delivered to the highest levels of safety
  consistent with industry standards.  Airplanes are delivered with a
  baseline configuration, which includes a standard set of flight deck
  displays and alerts, crew procedures and training materials that meet
  industry safety norms and
     most customer requirements.