[conspire] Linux also rans

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 11:39:51 PDT 2019

In the beginning there was debian...  (grin)
Then a bunch of North Carolina "frat boyz" forked a branch off.
To my knowledge, RedHat was the first shrink wrapped release.

Correct me if Im wrong?

After that the forking went crazy.

Probably due to it being first shrink wrapped, RedHat seems to have taken a
strangle hold in the US markets?

Disagreements between RedHat & the userbase and possibly some copyright
issues brought Centos up to share the stranglehold on the US market.

Again, feel free to correct me on this as the entire point of this post is
to get my facts straight.

Seeing Ubuntu suddenly pop up in the US commercial market was a surprise
and when I asked
 about it duting an interview, I was told that RedHat & Centos got sloppy
about maintaining their
driver bases, while Ubuntu was much better on the drivers.
Therefore they were taking a kernel performance cut to have a decent driver
base.

Suse seems to be barely hanging on in the US.
Is it being displaced here by RedHat/Centos?
Or is it tainted by association with Novell ?

I dont know a lot about Linux in the rest of the world.
Someone want to comment on this?

--

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker