[conspire] Time zones and coders

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 14 00:10:28 PDT 2019

> I think we ought go UTC planet-wide.

And, furthermore, adopt Nico's Simple Universal Time proposal!
https://www.nico.schottelius.org/docs/sut/

> the passage of Proposition 7
> https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/prior-elections/statewide-election-results/general-election-november-6-2018/statement-vote/
> California could end up with its very own timezone (and timezone files),
> distinct from anywhere else on the planet.  <sigh>

This isn't entirely accurate.

I wrote in my online election analysis:

  "Pacific Standard Time" as the standard time within California.
  Provides that California Daylight Saving Time begins at 2AM on the
  second Sunday of March, and ends at 2AM on the first Sunday of November,
  consistent with current Federal law.  Permits the Legislature by
  two-thirds to vote to make future changes to California's Daylight
  Saving Time period, including for its year-round application, if changes
  are consistent with Federal law.

  [Partisan analysis:]  ll this really does is finally give the
  Legislature the authority to adjust Daylight Saving Time as necessary,
  including, with a 2/3 supermajority, making it year-round, but by itself
  this measure makes no change to timekeeping, just facilitates changes if
  ever needed.  Makes sense to me.  I'm voting yes.