[conspire] Michael Paoli @ CABAL Saturday ... & crimpers (telephone handset, line cord, & Ethernet)

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 19:04:41 PDT 2019

A lot of surplus operations have sole inventory to online dealers and
sometimes you just need to stand
there and look and feel the items in the bin before purchase.
I do a lot of design right in front of the parts bins.

I was relieved to find out that both Excess Solutions on S7th and Anchor
Electronics (Walsh in Santa Clara) actually have showroom space for you to
browse.

Id like to ask those near Berkeley to PLEASE support Lashers if practical.
They are just barely holding on, still a family operation.
With Radio Shack moving to online and reducing their selection, Lashers has
a chance to survive.

The last Zack I saw was in Vallejo.  Checking the net, Zack seems to still
be alive and selling on the net.

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 6:42 PM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):
>
> > The trend in redevelopment is 3 or 4 or 7 stories with residences
> > above and so-called retail on the ground floor.  Unfortunately
> > "retail" has become a synonym for over-fancy, over-priced restaurant.
> > A TruValue hardware or even a Radio Shack is never in the mix.
>
> It's a combination of the real estate bubble and rent-seeking behaviour
> from investors who''re trying to grab the Yuppie dollar while it's in
> motion.  And also Proposition 13 (long discussion omitted here).
>
> One of the reasons for the phenomenon of Silicon Valley was the
> availability of fairly inexpensive land during the buildout phase, such
> that you got businesses on land and buildings long ago paid for and not
> trying for a gold rush.  In my little town, some of the worst losses in
> recent years have been family-owned businesses in operation for many
> decades that suddenly closed because the next generation (if any) wasn't
> willing to continue, and so the valuable and low-taxed real estate
> suddenly got bought by speculators, existing buildings bulldozed, and
> everything turned into high-priced four-story Yuppie bait (as you
> describe).   This process continues.
>
> > I can count at least 3 bicycle shops that have closed the past couple
> > of years.
>
> When I moved back to the South Bay in 2000, I was astonished to see that
> only a single bicycle shop remained on University Avenue, Palo Alto.
> There used to be six or seven of them.  But that is in part demographics
> and only partly rent trends.
>
> > A bit of good news:  HSC has sold its remaining inventory to Excess
> > Solutions on  South 7th St in San Jose.
>
> Thank you!  I've been trying to find out what if anything would be
> replacing HSC and Weird Stuff Warehouse.  That's the first answer I've
> gotten.

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."