[conspire] punched paper tapes (was: Re: EIA RS-232-C, ... Re: DE-9, not DB-9 (was: ...

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 15:23:00 PST 2019

We discovered at the computer history museum that the most reliable medium
is punched mylar tape.

Mag tapes fade as do CDs and DVDs.
In tropical climates there is a microbe that eats the data off CDs.  Not
sure if it eats the plastic or the metal bits.
Paper tape and cards get mildew.
Chm has a bunch of paper tapes sealed because of black mildew and they are
afraid to understand seal them to read them for fear of the mildew.

At some point in time I plan to rebuild my tape punch for a cancellation
project.

Hmm wonder how much tape is needed to store an Ubuntu image?