[conspire] Oh yeah? Raspberry Pi 4 Model B arrives with up to 4GB RAM

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Tue Jun 25 02:21:30 PDT 2019

On 24Jun2019 12:17AM (-0700), Rick Moen wrote:
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/
[...]
> That's actually starting to look almost like a serious computer, limited
> mainly by the usual woeful I/O insufficiency:  For mass storage, you're
> basically stuck with using a microSD card.  It has the same USB2 stuff
> but now also a USB-C port to supply inbound power, a pair of USB3
> ports, and the same sort of GigE port and onboard Bluetooth/wireless.
> Instead of standard HDMI, this one has a pair of microHDMI ports.

What's more interesting about this model is that older boards shoveled a lot of the on-board equipment onto the same bus as the USB system.  The Pi 4 apparently separates that out now, so you can achieve much better internal device bandwidth.

That may have been driven by whatever requirements possessed them to put dual micro-HDMI ports on the thing.