[conspire] (forw) Re: [GoLugTech] Fw: [PLUG] vim and neovim bug

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 13 16:41:54 PDT 2019

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 16:40:57 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: tech at golug.org
Subject: Re: [GoLugTech] Fw: [PLUG] vim and neovim bug

Quoting Steve Litt via Tech (tech at golug.org):

> This doesn't sound good:
> https://threatpost.com/linux-command-line-editors-high-severity-bug/145569/

Rule of thumb:  If you're never going to use a feature in public-facing
software, turn it off.  I have no use for modeline support, do you?

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it-security/turn-off-modeline-support-in-vim/

Locally:
:r! grep modeline .vimrc
set nomodeline

Back when I ran a Ops for a merchant bank operation (my firm's
subsidiary that did online credit-card processing), I basically
had to read CVEs as part of my job (to pass PCIDSS auditing every three
months), and I can't tell you how many CVEs we just didn't have to worry
about because it was an attack against some baroque software feature
we'd already disabled.

----- End forwarded message -----