[conspire] (forw) [svlug-announce] SVLUG June meeting: Paradux: Recover from Maximum Personal Data?Disaster, with Johannes Ernst

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 10 02:24:04 PDT 2019

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 02:18:04 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: svlug-announce at lists.svlug.org
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG June meeting: Paradux: Recover from Maximum
	Personal Data	Disaster, with Johannes Ernst

WHEN:

Tuesday, June 11th, 2019
7 - 8:30pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

TOPIC: Paradux: Recover from Maximum Personal Data Disaster

PRESENTED BY: Johannes Ernst,
Founder, Indie Computing Corp.

TOPIC SUMMARY:

Many of the residents of towns wiped out by last year's California
wildfires didn't have time to grab their laptops, bring hard disks, or
take password-recovery sheets with them.  Similarly, what if your
favorite cloud services simply kicks you off?  Personal data disasters
lurk everywhere.  If one hits, can you recover your data and passwords?

Paradux is a new scheme (and supporting software) to store your personal
data and passwords in several different places that you choose, so that:

 o no third party can read it,
 o there are redundant copies of everything,
 o the effort for you to maintain the scheme is minimal, and
 o you can recover even if you remember nothing.

It does this with help from key-splitting and trusted friends. It
applies to personal data, and to credentials. This is a new project:
We'd love to tell you all about it, and appreciate all your feedback and
help.

This meeting is co-sponsored by SFBayLUG meetup
(https://www.meetup.com/SFBayLUG/) & SVLUG, who both owe huge thanks to
Sarah Newman for arranging the new venue.

(Note carefully: We're no longer at Cavium.)

ABOUT THE PRESENTER:

Johannes Ernst is a German-born entrepreneur and technologist living in
Silicon Valley with his family, who has founded a firm named Indie
Computing Corp. (https://indiecomputing.com/) to help bring products to
market that empower everybody to own their own data, to reclaim
sovereignty over their lives online, and over the lives of their
dependents.

LOCATION:

 Hacker Dojo, Large Event Room
 3350 Thomas Rd #150 (near Laurelwood Road)
 Santa Clara

 http://www.svlug.org/directions/hackerdojo.php    <--- maps here!

If you have any improvements to make, please let SVLUG's volunteers
know!  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING (if you want):

La Victoria Taqueria, 1415 N 4th St. near Gish Road, San Jose.
Take US-101 south to Brokaw Road exit, proceeding straight two blocks
along Technology Place to where you make a slight right curve onto N.
4th Street, proceeding 0.5 miles to La Victoria on your right just
before Gish Road.

We look forward to seeing you there!