[conspire] "technical"(?) problem: Re: 737 MAX story keeps getting more fractally bad

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Jul 14 22:47:44 PDT 2019

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] 737 MAX story keeps getting more fractally bad
> Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 16:21:04 -0700

> There's been a tendency to treat the MAX disaster as just a technical
> problem.  My point is that that's _absolutely_ the wrong framing -- even

Absolutely!  Often the largest and most significant problem(s)
are not technical problems ... and/or often same can be said
as to the obstacle(s)/blockers for solving technical problem(s).

See also my earlier:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2019-July/date.html
Various examples in there where the key to solving problem(s)
wasn't the technical part.  It was rather, e.g. problems with
silos, dysfunctional/broken $work environments,
lack of proper application/use of engineering due to
major non-technical issues, etc.

Also, often applying a technical "solution" to (try to) "fix"
a non-technical problem, often either out-right fails, or is
of relatively limited use/lifespan, e.g. folks break it or go
around it or discard it - often forgetting even why it was put
there - because it failed to address other core problem(s),
or folks screw up the "fix" because they have no understanding
of why it was done or the intentions/reasons behind it.