[conspire] bone ...: Re: List(s) of ~SF Bay Area [Linux+-] User Groups, etc. (& SF Bay Area Open Source/Linux Events)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 14 23:00:46 PST 2019

[BALE QA run, for which thanks]

> SVLUG ... looks like it's not met since 2018-07-25 ?

So it appears.

A lot of people keep thinking I run SVLUG, because I've been one of the
few longtime members who didn't completely walk away years ago.  I
consistently said that I was willing to keep the infrastructure (Web
site, mailing lists) running and do related pick'n'shovel work, but that
(1) I wasn't willing to run the LUG generally, because I already run a
different LUG (CABAL), and (2) am not willing to line up speakers.

Through the middle of last year, a very generous guy named Kevin
Dankwardt lined up monthly speakers and also provided the meeting venue,
Cavium, an embedded-Linux firm that is where he worked.  I stressed over
and over that, if he scheduled a speaker, he'd need to send me mail to
tell me so I could put that on the www.svlug.org site and send out an
announcement to svlug-announce -- because I'm not on Meetup.  Kevin is
an organiser for a couple of Meetups, 'Silicon Valley Linux Technology'
and' 'SVLUG (Silicon Valley Linux Users Group)'.  I've just checked
their Meetup pages just in case Kevin forgot to tell me about a meeting,
and indeed there hasn't been one since 2018-07-25.

Silicon Valley Linux Technology Meetup does have an event on Wednesday
at a San Francisco venue, FYI.

When I'm aware, as with SVLUG, that a supposedly regularly scheduled,
recurring meeting isn't actually occurring, I _can_ either manually
remove autogenerated listings or kill the recurring event, but either
requires some work, so I tend to let it ride and count on BALE users to
do the completely obvious and _follow links_ to verify that a supposedly
scheduled event is real.

> SFLUG - missing anchor #sflug --> <a name="sflug">

OK, I'll get that eventually.

(NBLUG, checck, I know that one, including the new start time.)

> bafug.org - pending renewal/deletion, but looks alive on meetup.com, 2nd Th 7p

How ignominious.  I'll pester Joe Grosch about that.

> BALUG - technically meeting starts at 6:30p (dinner proper @7)

Well, I'm not sure that 7pm isn't the correct time to show.  I tend to
think it is.

> SACLUG - (still) looks like 4th Th 7p ... when they happen

Um, yeah, but this is correct on BALE, right?

Again, I can seldom spend the time to fine-adjust BALE to remove entries
when groups claim they are going to keep a regular schedule but then are
erratic.  Just can't do that much manual correcting and removing.

Thanks again.