[conspire] List(s) of ~SF Bay Area [Linux+-] User Groups, etc. (& SF Bay Area Open Source/Linux Events)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 11 05:47:43 PST 2019

For better and/or worse (hey, some redundancy and diversity is good! :-)),
There are several more-or-less ~lists of
~SF Bay Area [Linux+-] User Groups, etc.

Doesn't seem to be any particular "standard" or "best" place
to communicate about all of 'em ... but for perhaps lack of
better :-) ...

Anyway, trace of housekeeping:
SF Bay Area Open Source/Linux Events:
https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=caj9iea2ol69b7n2uqdek4ocso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles

I updated NBLUG's location retroactive to meeting earlier this month.
I also retroactively updated PENLUG - as far as I can tell from the
on-line data, looks like last meeting was 2011-03-23.
And yes, also looks like CABAL is still (mostly) correct on there,
... though that Google calendar I don't think serves as authoritative
source for anything (maybe it once did for PENLUG?) ... however it
does have a lot of calendar stuff, and, well, many users (and some
web sites - including embedding it!) find it useful/convenient (despite
it's limitations).
I think Bill Ward "owns" (notwithstanding Google) that calendar,
there may be other co-owners ... or not (or insufficient active),
that might become a problem at some point in time.  Myself (and
quite a number of others), have the basic update/edit access to
it (but that's also insufficient to see what user(s) "own" (or co-own)
the calendar itself).  Not fully sure, but it might also be possible
(ical format?) to extract/dump (and thus backup) most all of that
calendar data - notably if there might ever be need/reason to
repopulate/move it (even to totally different service).
Backups are good.  :-)

Oh, and not that I especially want to be "housekeeper" of that
calendar, per se (hopefully enough folks can edit that most can
update their own [L]UG stuff on there), but yeah, if you're aware of
something there that's particularly and clearly incorrect (relative to
authoritative source(s)) - and particularly if nobody else can be
bothered
to correct it or lacks the access, ... yeah, I probably could maybe fix
that <whatever> - if so notified.

And, other lists, ... well, here's my "list of lists" - the very last
of which is just a much shorter URL to the URL immediately above it:
http://linuxmafia.com/bale/
http://www.lugod.org/calendar/
http://www.svlug.org/farm.php#other-local
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/UserGroupContacts/Groups#SF
https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=caj9iea2ol69b7n2uqdek4ocso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles
https://goo.gl/b9WY5k

Also, Ubuntu Hour San Francisco ... probably mostly a topic for
else-list(s) ... but at least some of the references on that need at
least a slight bit of tweaking/updating ... most notably in more recent
years (kind'a like BAD), though not "dead" at all, it more often doesn't
meet than does (even though it has regularly scheduled time & location,
etc. - so sometimes also such meetings *do* happen) ... anyway, there
are some web pages that imply Ubuntu Hour San Francisco actually happens
on a very regular basis (like every theoretically scheduled date it's
slotted for).

Of course there's a reason I, and many others, put:
http://linuxmafia.com/bale/
at the top of that list of lists :-)
But *maybe* the Google calendar thingy doesn't (quite) deserve to be ranked
at the very bottom.