[conspire] (forw) [GoLugTech] GoLUG leadership: was Linux users protested at Microsoft?

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 20:21:07 PST 2019

At the risk of looking like an idiot, what are "golug" and "elug" ?

My first encounters with Linux were in early 1997 and at the time, it
seemed rather immature.
I wasnt expecting it to get much further than the home use level.

Boy was *I* WRONG !!!

After a while, many places had a few setcret Linux machines hidden in the
server room that management was unaware of.
You could be fired for running an unsupported OS in production.
Suddenly Linux was OK once RedHat appeared shringwrapped at Frys.

I remember Joshua from Red Hat handing me a stack of RedHat CDs and
management at work saying
"What do you mean we can make copies of these?"
I put PTouch labels on them with Joshuas name and the fact that he he
worked at RedHat and said it was OK to make as many copies as we wanted.

After years of the MS "Linux must die!", I note that they are a lot more
nice to Linux.
I remember how they freaked out when they found out that after buying
HotMail, they couldnt just move it to Windows and have it work.
Its rumoured that most of the Azure Cloud runs on Linux.

With the number of Linux people that MS is hiring, I strongly suspect that
deep under the covers, Windows is becoming Linuxified.
Only time will tell.

MS really only has one killer app left, Outlook (Lookout!)
Many have tried to duplicate it, and nobody has come up with a 100% drop in
for it.
Every try has only come in at 95%

Last time I had to do Windows upgrades, I was shocked at the license fees.
If I had the install DVD, the licenses for the machines I was installing
were like $15 per machine.

I dare say the evil of MSFT has peaked and not likely to get worse.

With the future of the cloud, a lot of the licensing becomes obsolete.
They just bundle it into the hourly run time (usually around $0.0004 per hr)

I think they now realize that OS sales is a financial dead end.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 2:07 PM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Very articulat, so I thought I'd pass it along.  ('This event' refers to
> the largest Windows Refund Day event, the one I and others ran in Foster
> City on Presidents' Day, 1998.)
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Steve Litt via Tech <tech at golug.org> -----
>
> Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 16:06:19 -0500
> From: Steve Litt via Tech <tech at golug.org>
> To: tech at golug.org
> Subject: [GoLugTech] GoLUG leadership: was Linux users protested at
>         Microsoft?
>
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 14:45:00 -0500
> Robert Lefebvre via Tech <tech at golug.org> wrote:
>
> > I wasn't aware of this event?
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j9j-Ywjmbk
>
> Robert, thanks for the perfect lead-in as to why I'll soon be giving up
> the leadership reins at GoLUG...
>
> I did my first Linux installation and immediately joined ELUG about 4
> months before the referenced event, Windows Refund Day. If you look at
> the video you see the enthusiasm exhibited by Linux people in that era.
> Linux wasn't just an OS. It wasn't just another work skill or tool we
> used at work. Nor was it just the OS we chose for our personal desktop.
>
> Linux got us out from under the thumb of Microsoft, which was a pretty
> cool company in 1989, but steadily degraded until it was a despicable
> piece of unmitigated weasel dung by 1999. Many of the people you see in
> that video were forced, by the marketplace, to use Windows. When an
> alternative came along, we busted free, and when we saw how well an OS
> could really work, we were royally perturbed at Microsoft for how
> Windows made us do more work to get less productivity.
>
> And don't forget, by the mid 1990's Microsoft was suing its own
> customers for "copyright infringement" when some employee in the mail
> room unauthorizedly copied Windows to another computer without
> obtaining a license. Linux gave such companies a way to break all ties
> with Microsoft. See
> https://www.cnet.com/news/rockin-on-without-microsoft/ for the iconic
> example.
>
> And the Justice Department's Microsoft Antitrust trial kept moving
> forward, giving us all more reason to bring Linux to the forefront. By
> 2000 the average old man owning stocks knew about Linux because of Red
> Hat's and VA Linux's stock IPOs. On June 7, 2000, Judge Jackson ruled
> that Microsoft must be broken up into an OS unit and an "other
> software" unit, which would have essentially nullified Microsoft's
> (monopolous) advantages in the marketplace.
>
> Meanwhile, the 1997-2000 economy was red-hot, especially for anyone in
> computer programming or administration. Y2K consumed all the
> programmers, and thousands of dialup ISPs competed for business, every
> one of them using Linux or BSD. In this period of time, if you wanted a
> Linux job, you could get it, no sweat. If you worked Windows, it was
> because you didn't mind working that putrid piece of monopolism, not
> because you had no choice.

> [...]

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."