[conspire] no privacy

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 15:57:54 PST 2019

Indulge me as I tell you a little story:

Nearly 20 years ago, some men from the middle east attacked an office
complex in NY City, that was complicit in the later 2008 financial meltdown.
(They TRIED to do us a favor!)

The village idiot of a 3000mi wide village was busy reading to a
Kindergarten class in Florida.
(Probably not bright enough for anything more sophisticated)
Unfortunately, hes also a distant cousin of mine.

The Secret Service bundled him onto a plane and stashed him in a place
called "The Hole" some 10 stories beneath Omaha.
Around sunset, they deemed the skies safe enough to return to DC.

Back at the Whitehouse, "Shrub" (the 'little Bush') demanded a dossier on
each of the attackers.
The CIA stated that it would take a month to compile, as they had few
assets in the right areas.
One of the Aides came into the room and announced "Mr President, the phone
will ring soon and you REALLY need to answer it"
Sure enough, the phone did ring.
Shrub was not wild about the interuption, but he took the call.
"Mr President, this is Lexus Nexxus.  We are very sorry, but we wont have
the information ready for you until noon tomorrow."

When I heard this, I realized that we only have one more generation with
the CIA at best.
Intelligence is being privatised as I write this.
These private organizations dont have to "spy" on people very much.
People GLADLY tell them everything, and I mean EVERYTHING!
There are people who photograph and post pics of their meal plates.

During the whole Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence dust up, I was working at
FACEB00C (Their IPv6 prefix).
I had to explain to people that FB was NOT a cpmpany to connect people
together.
That was just the facade.  They were REALLY about scooping up information
for later sale.

Interestinglyly enough, FB still to this day tries to prevent people from
joining under "screen names".
They want your REAL name and for good reason.
Supposedly to avoid online bullying, but we know the REAL reason dont we?

As the CIA fades into the sunset, we greet out new privatised intelligence
industry, Yahoo, Google, Facebook etc.

I note that Hugh Daniel warned us about this before he died.
Did we listen?
Hell NO!
Do we deserve this?
Probably.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:35 PM Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> wrote:

> On 2/11/19 9:24 AM, paulz at ieee.org wrote:
> > The other day, I was shopping for clothes.  Firefox w/ no script.
> >
> > There was a pop-up saying that some website requested sending a message
> to another site.  Actually those sort of messages have become rather common
> place.  I usually just click "block always" and get back to what I was
> trying to do.
> >
> > This time I read the names of the websites.  Why would I want Facebook
> to know if I am looking at boxers vs. briefs?
>
> Yes, Facebook makes "shadow profiles" of people who aren't registered
> users and have not clicked "OK" to the terms of service.  Hella creepy.
>
> The Firefox UI for dealing with this kind of thing changed.  If you want
> what used to be "Tracking Protection" you're going to want to go to
> "Content Blocking" and select "Strict."
>
> If you had the old Tracking Protection turned on, it should do the right
> thing, but it can't hurt to check.
>
> The "Cookie AutoDelete" extension is a good second line of defense in
> case you have to turn off tracking protection to get a site to work.
>
> https://blog.zgp.org/firefox-extensions-list-2018/

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."