[conspire] OT: The Expanse volume 8 (penultimate volume), 'Tiamat's Wrath'

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 26 22:19:00 PDT 2019

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 22:16:24 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: skeptic at linuxmafia.com
Subject: [skeptic] The Expanse volume 8 (penultimate volume), 'Tiamat's Wrath'

Last night, I finished the last-but-one novel in James S.A. Corey's _The
Expanse_ series, _Tiamat's Wrath_ -- and can say it's a winner.  Eva
raised the question of this current space-opera science fiction series
earlier, and got recommendations from several people including me.

Overall series description:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(novel_series)#Plot

One problem is that you cannot really consider the eighth novel in a
nine-novel series as if it were a separate work, and this one is a case
in point.  I can say that the plot lines came together extremely well
with quite a few very impressive set-pieces -- while setting up an 'Oh
my god' climax for the as-yet-unnamed concluding volume (#9).

Here's a review that covers volume #8 pretty well without spoilers:
https://theillustratedpage.wordpress.com/2019/03/26/review-of-tiamats-wrath-by-james-s-a-corey/

For completists, a timeline-based reading order (including short stories
that are available online).

Volume   Type   Title
0.1      Story  Drive
0.2      Story  The Churn
0.3      Story  The Butcher of Anderson Station
1        Novel  Leviathan Wakes
2        Novel  Caliban's War
2.1      Story  Gods of Risk
3        Novel  Abaddon's Gate
3.1      Story  The Vital Abyss
3.2      Story  Strange Dogs
4        Novel  Cibola Burn
5        Novel  Nemesis Games
6        Novel  Babylon's Ashes
7        Novel  Persepolis Rising
8        Novel  Tiamat's Wrath
9        Novel  [not yet named, and no release date yet]

_Tiamat's Wrath_ took the co-authors (Daniel Abraham & Ty Franck,
writing as 'James S.A. Corey') a bit under two years, until it was
released a month ago, so we'll all probably need to wait until 2021
for volume #9.  Dammit.

I'll be _very_ impatiently waiting for it.

--
Cheers,                          "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals;
Rick Moen                        I am a vegetarian because I hate plants."