[conspire] Added carrier scrutiny

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 9 15:40:11 PDT 2019

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> This youTube explains what the handling of the 737 can get a bit
> dicey under certain conditions and that pilots need to practice it.
> Don't remember if someone already shared this, or YouTube suggested
> it after I watched something else.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlinocVHpzk

That expert training pilot is the fellow using nom-de-Internet 'Mentour
Pilot', who is very, very good.  I encountered his online material a few few
days ago, when I encountered the sudden plot twist that the Ethiopian
Airlines flight 302 pilots _had_ been fully following the Boeing
emergency checklist to disable MCAS and terminate runaway automatic
trim.  At the time (just a few days ago!), one of the sources for that
senational story was an independent investigation by Bjorn Fehrm of
Leeham News and Mentour Pilot:

https://leehamnews.com/2019/04/03/et302-used-the-cut-out-switches-to-stop-mcas/

Basically, Leeham News and Mentour Pilot had a theory about a reason why
following Boeing's instructions involving setting STAB TRIM CUTOUT might
_not_ suffice to fix the runaway automated trim syndrome.  So, Mentour
Pilot did a video-taped simulator test that appeared to show exactly
that, and posted it to his YouTube channel.  According to him, he had
qualms about whether this was a responsible action given that the matter
is under investigation and that his reproduction was speculative to some
degree -- so he pulled the video about an hour later.

Listening to Mentour Pilot, I at first wondered if he weren't Norwegian.
Close!  He's Captain Petter Hörnfeldt, originally from Sweden, now living
in Girona, Spain with his family and working as a Type Rating Instructor
(TRI) and Type Rating Examiner (TRE) for RyanAir.
https://karlenepetitt.blogspot.com/2016/09/petter-hornfeldt.html

Anyhow, I certainly commend his YouTube channel, for anyone interested
in these subjects.