[conspire] Added carrier scrutiny

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 9 00:49:27 PDT 2019

Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):

> So the latest on this caper is that it seems there was an official Boeng
> solution when the pilot was in a fight with the MACS.
> If you couldnt do anything else, you pull the fuse on the jack screws on
> the rear elevator plane.
> This basically disables the MACS.
> It turns out thats exactly what Ethiopean Air did.
> Of course this now gives you a dead tail.
> So the crew did exactly what Boeing told pilots to do and the plane STILL
> crashed.

It's worse than a dead tail.  The manual trim cannot be applied under
the conditions MACS creates because of high airspeed:  The force
required goes up with the _square_ of airspeed.

Under those conditions, the only hope of being able to effect the
necessary manual trim adjustment is the bobbing up and down trick (that
I think of as dolphining) that was highlighted in B737 Flight Control
Operations Manuals through Sept. 1982 (as I posted separately) but has
been little-known after that.

Incredibly, the Ethiopian Airlines pilots were even pretty much
approximating _that_ emergency method, with what they were trying, right
up until the second they hit terrain, but they were doomed because all
of this was happening at 1000 feet, almost immediately after takeoff,
and so in essence MCAS straight-up murdered the flight despite their
heroic efforts.

Among other things, this means that all the blowhards who went straight
to 'Well, third-world pilots...' assumptions need to FOAD.

>  Oh, I forgot, Ralph Naders neice was killed in the Ethiopian Air
>  crash.  He went off on Boeing a couple days ago.

Grandneice, to be picky.