[conspire] Distro thread

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 22:34:06 PDT 2019

We were talking abut distros a while back and I lost track of which thread
it was.
As a result Ive "Forked it up"  (Groan on three...)

At Redis conf today, I chatted up the Suse people.

While they use the RedHat kernel NOW, they cant tell me when they moved
from
the pre RedHat kernel to the RedHat kernel.

They claim to have started in 1992, making them actually older than RedHat,
but couldnt tell me when they were first available shrink wrapped.

I was surprised that the latest acquisition of Suse (Pronounced ' soo sah '
, NOT ' soo see' )

They were owned by Novell, then Micro Focus, and now some Swedish venture
capitalist
firm, who is throwing money at them and still letting them chart their own
course.

I got the impression that the VCs might be doing this to poke a finger in
the eyes of RedHat.
Im not sure this is really needed as RedHat is doing a pretty good job of
doing it to themselves.
(Did I say THAAAAAAAAAAAAT ????)

It was a delightful chat.
The beer was good too, although there was no porter nor stout.

--

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker