[conspire] Linux apps on a chromebook, via Debian 9 Stretch Virtual Machine

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Mon Sep 10 13:41:54 PDT 2018

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 1:26 PM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):
>
> > Well, my posting wasn't really in response to his posting, or to your
> > response.
>
> However, it was such fitting commentary that I only belatedly realised
> it wasn't on the same mailing list.  (For those who're wondering, there
> was a problem posed by Christian Einfeldt on the SF-LUG mailing list
> for which Tony's comments were enlightening assistance.)

Glad to help, however unintentionally it may have been.

> > ChromeOS *does* have a Dev mode which does let you get a stripped down
> > text console environment, and it *is* possible to install chrooted
> > full linux distro (crouton), or, I think, replace the stock chromeOS,
> > on some models.
>
> Yes to the latter.  At the time they were new, I skim-read articles to
> that effect.

It's a really frustrating experience, like putting Linux on a Mac, because
a lot of the keys you are used to just aren't there.  I'm finding it useful
to carry the Cromebook Tab as a Chrome/Android device plus a smallish
std keyboard (one with ins, del, and F-keys) for when I want to activate
the full linux environment in the VM to get things done.

Here's a interesting talk about Google's approach to Android and Linux
in VMs/containers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPDchQdhdTs