[conspire] Poor impulse control

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Sep 9 22:13:13 PDT 2018

In Neal Stephenson's 1992 science fiction novel _Snow Crash_, there is
an incidental character who, as a result of prior criminal judgements
against him, had the phrase 'Poor impulse control' tatooed onto his
forehead, presumably as a warning to others.  I feel as if at least one
of the regulars in attendance yesterday might be a candidate for that
treatment.

Let's say you're visiting my house on a warm day in September for a
CABAL meeting, and find yourself walking near the large rolldown garage
door, that you notice has been left about a metre open.  Do you...

1.  Close the door, because obviously it needs to be closed, or
2.  Avoid doing so, without checking with the property owner?

If you picked #2, congratulations, you have successfully passed
the bare essentials of the Guest 101 course.  If, on the other hand, you
picked choice #1, oh dear:  You may be too stupid and self-centred to
visit my residence.

I shouldn't actually need to state why you-plural as CABAL visitors to my
property should, by default, absent checking with the owner, Leave Stuff
The Hell Alone.  This should be automatic.  This is NOT your property.
You completely lack the information, not to mention authority, to make
decisions on my behalf.  You should default to:  Don't Frelling Touch
Stuff.  Period.

For the record, I have active electronics in the garage that needs
ventilation.  During summer months, cross-ventilation is essential to
ensure that happening.  So, the rolldown garage door is partially
opened _deliberately_.

If I find people making an Executive Decision to override my judgement,
I am rather likely to get out the house trebuchet, and send them on a
glorious parabolic arc over the property line, at which point your
sorry ass will become the problem of San Mateo County and not mine.

I hope I make myself clear.  You are a guest.  Keep your furshlugginer
hands to yourself.  No touchey.  Keepeth thy mitts in thy pockets, or
the trebuchet awaits.