[conspire] 3rd Mastewriter Hard Disk Error

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 28 02:01:44 PST 2018

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> To answer a related question.  No I do not have a back-up server.  To
> be practical, I really need to pull cables through the house so it
> doesn't need to be at the same desk.  Despite all of the hype, WiFi
> doesn't work when there are multiple walls and closets.

Honestly, the low-hanging fruit is to use a storage target that can be
brought physically to your computer for as long as required to write a
backup set to it, then detached and stored somewhere remote from your
computer (so that, e.g., the same burglar or house fire or flooding
incident cannot get both).

Something as simple as a big hard drive in an external case that's
connectable to your system using USB or eSATA or Thunderbolt connectors
would more than suffice.

> BTW, is it necessary to have the French Police siren?

Until I've migrated my server functionality off that machine, I am
_really not_ going to futz with it.  I'm not even going to reboot it to
the BIOS Setup to see if there's a 'disable audio alarm if there's a
failed CPU' toggle.  It's just not worth the risk of making a creaky old
server box fail.

I recommend whistling a cheerful tune.  ;->