[conspire] new computer?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 21 12:33:45 PST 2018

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

>  Ivan,
> Thank you for all of the information.
> Once there were 2 "major" makers of graphics chips.  ATI and nVidia.
> AMD bought ATI in 2006 and has been building on that technology since
> them.  Other recent emails discussed that AMD tries support Linux.

I'm pretty sure Ivan knows all about this (just sayin').  ;->

> So I am considering if I should replace the drive, or retire the
> whole machine in favor of a laptop that possibly has new CPU, etc.

If you have the dosh to lavish, migrating from an old workstation to a
new laptop has many advantages.    I'll just reiterate that  all the
pitfalls of new chipsets' Linux support _can_ apply, and in fact laptops
are rather notorious for them, particularly but not exclusively in the
area of wireless chip support.