[conspire] new computer?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 19 21:56:48 PST 2018

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

>  When I had a Costco membership, they had a really good no hassle
>  return policy.

And still do, by the way.

> BTW,  I identified the drives without using a screwdriver.   After a
> couple of tries I found the key to access BIOS.  Now I have the exact
> models for 2 IDE drives and 1 SATA.  Still am not sure which is
> unhappy.
>
> I'm not too keen on buy a "new" IDE drive.  Without opening the box,
> can someone tell me if I could add a 2nd SATA to the existing box.
> Somehow I don't think SATA can be daisy-chained like 2 IDE drives.

Yes to the former.  No to the latter.

SATA cannot be daisy-chained.  OTOH, the good news for you is that it's
extremely likely there are two SATA headers on the motherboard.  (I'm
excluding as unlikely the possibility of SATA services being provided by
an add-in card such as a PCI one, but if that _is_ the case, then again
it's extremely likely that the card provides two SATA connectors.

As I said, SATA is blessedly simple compared to PATA (old 'IDE'[1]).

> More RAM is still a good thing because we keep using higher resolution
> pictures.

There are other good and IMO more compelling reasons why more RAM is
still a good thing.

One reason is that the OS can always deploy additional RAM in ways that
improve perceived performance.  In the case of Linux, any RAM not spoken
for in any other way goes to a disc cache, which greatly improves the
perceived speed of mass storage, and also reduces wear on mass-storage
devices.

Another reason is that, with an adequate amount of spare RAM, you can
use virtual-machine technology in one or more creative way that makes a
qualitative difference in your ability to use your system well.  (I have
long held that VM technology ought to be used in preference to
dual-booting, for example, if there is adequate total RAM, except for a
few rare use-cases where running an OS in a  VM layer causes problems
that prohibit fruitful use.

[1] Technically speaking, SATA and PATA are both implementations of IDE.
Hence referring to the older standard as 'IDE' as if SATA were not also
IDE is incorrect and potentially confusing.