[conspire] new computer?

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Mon Nov 19 16:04:07 PST 2018

> The key to figuring out if the system is going to be anaemic is
> _research_.  This is the one fatal error I find that people purchasing
> new systems tend to make: buying something on the spot and taking it
> home, rather than writing down the make/model and any applicable options
> bundles of promising offerings, going home, and spending some time
> looking up their particulars (from a Linux perspective) on the Internet.
> One heuristic that's useful is to make a list of the constituent
> chipsets (ethernet, sound, wireless, video, etc.) and look up each such
> chip model + the word 'Linux' with a Web search engine.

Alternatively, if a place has a good return policy, you can buy it,
try it with a LiveUSB/LiveCD version of your distro, and return
it if it doesn't easily work.  If they ask for a reason, you can even put
a bug in whatever ear, enough people saying "doesn't work with my
favorite operating system" may eventually get vendors to improve
compatibility (but I wouldn't hold my breath)

But definitely, if you can afford it, support the vendors who sell
something you like *with Linux supported* and avoid paying for
a Windows license, directly or indirectly.

Tony