[conspire] conspire Digest, Vol 173, Issue 3

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 10 07:21:08 PST 2018

Quoting Bruce Coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):

> I think I'd like to try one of the new lx flavors of sidux .

ITYM 'Siduction'.

'Sidux' was a terrific name for an (excellent) advanced live-CD distro
based on Debian 'Sid', but the developers lost the right to that
trademark in an internal squabble in 2010, and renamed their
distribution to the much-less-great name 'Aptosid'.  Aptosid proceeded
with quarterly (more or less) releases through May 2013, but the distro
has been dormant since then.  (It still has development work going on,
but hasn't released ISOs since 2013.)

Meanwhile, in 2012, a group of Aptosid developers left over their belief
that Aptosid insufficiently well served the Linux desktop user, and
created a distro fork called 'Siduction' with a greater number of DE
flavours.  It remains quite active and released ISOs most recently,,,
um... yesterday.

I'm just now grabbing siduction-18.2.0-lxde-amd64.iso .

I hope at some point the Siduction developers can buy back the name
'Sidux' from that wanker who walked off with it.