[conspire] Debian: mirrors, /etc/apt/sources.list, deb.debian.org, httpredir.debian.org, http.debian.net, ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 28 08:55:54 PDT 2018

> Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 05:39:11 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Paul Zander <paulz at ieee.org>
> To: "conspire at linuxmafia.com" <conspire at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] How to update packages when Deb is behind?

> Looking at my edited /etc/apt/sources.list, I believe I once installed
> Jessie from CD.  But that line was commented out.
> The active lines are like:
> deb http://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

In most cases, if one is pulling direct from location(s) on The
Internet, in /etc/apt/sources.list, there's no need to use specific
mirrors.  For >=9 Stretch, use deb.debian.org.  For earlier Debian,
use httpredir.debian.org.  Now, if on the other hand, say one has one's
own mirror in one's own data center, sure, certainly use that.  One
could also (set up and) use a caching proxy, e.g. by using squid - which
would be advantageous if one has multiple Debian hosts at one's
location.  There are also additional to save and share the data, to
avoid multiple redundant downloads from The Internet.

Anyway, as for basic "mirrors" and such, and not, from my
/etc/apt/sources.list, I have ... well, what the heck, full contents,
and the comments I have in there (and first item is where I have mounted
ISO image located):

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb file:/media/cdrom9 stretch main

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main non-free contrib
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main non-free contrib

# Security updates
# >= 9 stretch http://deb.debian.org/ includes /debian-security/ -
see: https://deb.debian.org/
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main contrib
non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main
contrib non-free

# https://wiki.debian.org/StableUpdates
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main contrib non-free

#       Uses the archive stored locally (or NFS mounted) at /home/jason/debian
#       for stable/main, stable/contrib, and stable/non-free.
#           deb file:/home/jason/debian stable main contrib non-free
#       As above, except this uses the unstable (development) distribution.
#           deb file:/home/jason/debian unstable main contrib non-free
#       Source line for the above
#           deb-src file:/home/jason/debian unstable main contrib non-free
#       The first line gets package information for the architectures in
#       APT::Architectures while the second always retrieves amd64 and armel.
#           deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main
#           deb [ arch=amd64,armel ] http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main
#       Uses HTTP to access the archive at archive.debian.org, and uses only
#       the hamm/main area.
#           deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-archive hamm main

# various /etc/apt/sources.list notes:

# as of wheezy, backports are part of main archive (mirror network)
# deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports
main contrib non-free

# CDN/redirector information, reverse chronological:
# >=9 Stretch --> deb.debian.org:
# http://deb.debian.org/
# https://wiki.debian.org/DebianGeoMirror
#