[conspire] upgrade and grub

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 22 10:03:12 PDT 2018

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> For the record, I did transcribe the wording from the dialog box as
> carefully as I could.

Your transcription was really close, and that was not a problem.  E.g.,
it brought up the Ubuntu-and-EC2 related pages via a very close match to
the error text.  In this case, the search strategy didn't strike gold
because, I would speculate, there just wasn't any to strike.  (I
mentioned that strategy for use in other scenarios where one has better
luck.)

> There remains a small question about why some other packages are not
> at exactly the same version as I found searching at:
> https://packages.debian.org/.

If you mean the installed versions are older than the current repo
versions in Stable, and you've recently done the apt-get dance (which I
recall you now have), then make very sure there hasn't been a small
change to the package name (as with 'firefox' v. 'firefox-esr').  Once
you're sure you aren't missing a small name change, just do

apt-get install packagename

...where 'packagename' is what's in the repo.  In fact, this shouldn't
be necessary, but you could do

apt-get --reinstall install packagename

...to force it a bit.

If you mean that the installed versions are more recent than the current
repo versions in Stable, that would seem likely to be a long-term
consequence of your having been tracking Testing.  As I've said, Debian
doesn't really support downgrading very well.  Such situations can be
fixed, but some work will inevitably be required.

BTW, p.d.o. is very handy, and I keep lazily using it myself, but
probably we'd both be better off training our fingers to instead use
'apt-cache search' in most cases.