[conspire] Ancient flamewar public service announcement

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Fri Jun 22 03:00:24 PDT 2018

On 21Jun2018 04:14PM (-0700), Rick Moen wrote:
> And FYI, to my knowledge every LUG mailing list in the Bay Area except
> a shameful few, that I won't name here, _avoids_ the error of
> force-rewriting posters' headers and overriding their intentions.

Alas, the days of this continuing to work are numbered.  Already a large
number of sites use DKIM and similar techniques to ensure that only
authenticated servers send mail from their domains.  Thus when your
mailing list "reflects" a mail from foo at example.com, the subscriber at
bar at example.com will never see it because mx.example.com rejects it as a
forgery.

Mailman has begun to support options that absolutely rewrite the From:
header entirely.  This is not a very fun future for e-mail.