[conspire] upgrade and grub

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 22 00:24:24 PDT 2018

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> SOLVED.
> The were two pieces to the puzzle.
> 1.  Where to select to install grub2.  How to use the selection dialog box
> Unlike some other operating systems, Linux allows just about
> everything else to continue during an update.

FWIW, if there's one thing I personally like even less than GRUB Legacy,
it's GRUB2.  ;->  (They're both overly complex and gratuitously
confusing replacements for better bootloaders, but GRUB2 throws in the
problem of being gratuitously different in important ways from GRUB
Lecacy aka GRUB v1.)

> So I selected the partition and then it all worked and it boots
> BUT AFTER ALL OF THAT, firefox is still 45.8.0.

So, figure out what package that is, remove it (preferably with the
--purge) flag for apt-get so that you ritual-exercise _everything_ it
put on your system) and then install your distro's current packaging
of firefox-esr .

Again, _that_ is the package you want.

Postscriptum:  Elsethread, I said 'EFT thingie' (as opposed to
old-school BIOS/MBR booting), which didn't look right when I typed it
but I didn't have the time and patience to fix it at that moment.
I evidently merged 'EFI' and 'GPT' (GUID Partition Table) in my head.
Should have said 'GPT/EFI thingie' or the like.