[conspire] How to update packages when Deb is behind?

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Thu Jun 21 18:07:33 PDT 2018

I have now edited sources.list.  Removing all of the lines commented out leaves the following.   All of these lines were previously present, but have been edited.

  deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
  deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
  deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stable-updates main contrib non-free
  deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org stable main non-free

BTW, the top of the file has this line generated during the original install.
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Jessie_ - Official Snapshot amd64 lxde-CD Binary-1 20140728-06:13]/ testing mainIf I read the release info correctly July of 2014, Jessie was "testing"
If I use apt-get with the above info, I should hopefully be updating to "stretch".  Or, if I change "stable" to "testing" I would get the current instantiation of buster.
I still want check the versions for a bunch of apps, just to see if I might be headed into a mine field.

Anything else before I jump off the cliff?