[conspire] Why thread-hijacking should be avoided (was: CABAL & spuds ...)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 15 14:53:59 PDT 2018

Quoting Elise Scher (elise.scher01 at gmail.com):

> Hi People,
>      I am having trouble with my latest Python class assignment and would
> appreciate your help.

I hope Deirdre's and Michael's suggestions helped.

Am now following up with a gentle reminder that, when you have good
reason to broach a new topic on a mailing list, you should start a new
thread.

What you really should not do is piggy-back your new topic onto an
existing thread, especially without altering the existing Subject header
(which in this case was 'CABAL & spubs ...').  That latter practice
means your new query gets buried deep in an unrelated thread, which is
in neither your interest nor that of people interested in, say, spuds.

I'm now Attempting to model good behaviour myself in this follow-up, by
revising Subject and deleting the In-Reply-To header, which should result
in a new thread to make my point.  _But_ the easier way to accomplish
the goal of a new thread is, literally, creating a new thread.

No offence taken on anyone's part, Elise, I'm sure, but I just wanted to
post a reminder about Internet best practies.