[conspire] Artix, Arch and xorg

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sun Jul 8 06:26:52 PDT 2018

I've been using Artix Linux of late (https://artixlinux.org/) which is a
relatively small project of a non-systemd version of Arch.  I started
using it when the developers of the openrc version of Manjaro shut that
down and moved that to Artix.  I have been working with it and dealing
with its package management system, pacman.  It is a rolling distro.
Over time I've tried to tweak it to my satisfaction to remove
pulseaudio, Netmanager, and to run it under wmaker rather than a
freedesktop.org  system, or KDE.

On update last week, the whole xorg configuration died.  Much of the
problem can be detailed here

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,591.0.html

but I think the key problem involved a specific X library that seems to
not work any longer, and maybe not used with these new wayland
configurations.

Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/libinput_drv.so:
/usr/lib/libinput.so.10: undefined symbol: libwacom_get_button_evdev_code

Between derooting X and making it subject to Systemd, and the move to
wyayland, I think they have effectively destroyed X as a stand along system.

I saw something on a slackware list on this exact library from 2016.

I wiped the system and rebuilt it from the new iso, and it is currently
working.  That makes it hard to nail down what the trouble exactly was,
but I needed my work station to function.  One of the developers
believes the problem was someone I was doing, which I was a little
insulted by, but I'm open to the idea that I was doing something other
than using pacman to update X

I have to believe there is something more fundamentally problematic.

Ruben
http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.brooklyn-living.com