[conspire] Running Python 3

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Fri Jul 6 22:26:30 PDT 2018

Background:  There are major difference between Python 2.7 and Python 3.  So they are really two different programs.  A script written for 2.7 might have a lot of problems on Python 3 and vice versa.  However, many organizations have so much written in 2.7 that they are reluctant to change.

Now which version of Python 3 do you need for your class?   According to packages.debian.org:

|   Debian-Stable  |   Debian-Testing  |
|   Stretch  |   Buster  |
|   Python 3  |   Python 3  |
|   Python 3.4  |   Python 3.5  |
|   Python 3.5  |   Python 3.6  |

So decide on the appropriate flavor of Python 3.
Use your favorite package manager (apt-get or synaptic or ??) to install it.
Now you should be able to invoke Python3.5 as you would python2.7.