[conspire] Anyone know a data scientist?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jan 25 11:26:36 PST 2018

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> I can guess what DevOps might be, but I have not heard of Data
> Scientist before.

It's an umbrella concept.  I rather like this page on the subject:

  Many resources out there may lead you to believe that becoming a data
  scientist requires comprehensive mastery of a number of fields, such as
  software development, data munging, databases, statistics, machine
  learning and data visualization.

  Don’t worry. In my experience as a data scientist, that’s not the case.
  You don’t need to learn a lifetime’s worth of data-related information
  and skills as quickly as possible.  Instead, learn to read data science
  job descriptions closely.  This will enable you to apply to jobs for
  which you already have necessary skills, or develop specific data skill
  sets to match the jobs you want.

  4 Types of Data Science Jobs

  “Data scientist” is often used as a blanket title to describe jobs that
  are drastically different. Here are four types of data science jobs:

1.  A Data Scientist is a Data Analyst Who Lives in San Francisco:
    [Snip details, but after acknowledging the joke, author says
    this category consists of extracting and displaying data, maybe
    working with and exchanging data with other departments.]

2.  Please Wrangle Our Data!
    [Company is drowning in unmanaged data and needs someone to
    impose data infrastructure and data analysis where it's been missing.]

3.  We Are Data. Data Is Us:
    [Working at a firm that's all about data analysis.  You typically
    have an academic quant background in stats, math, or physics.]

4.  Reasonably Sized Non-Data Companies Who Are Data-Driven:
    [Company isn't about data but generates enough to have a niche
    need for analysis, tweaking of production code, visualisation, etc.]

https://blog.udacity.com/2014/11/data-science-job-skills.html