[conspire] successful install, at last

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Tue Dec 18 09:44:00 PST 2018

 REPLIES BELOW, ALL IN CAPS

    On Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 7:06:26 AM UTC, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> My purpose for using a computer is to accomplish certain tasks.
> release but where in other releases.  However, it appeared to be
> easier to try use *ubuntu.

OK, sure, try that for a while.

When you wish to try Debian again, with access to cutting-edge
applications, the relatively easy way is to start with one of the
quarterly Siduction installable live ISOs.  Or you can use my
apt-pinning trick to run Debian-testing with optional access to
Debian-unstable packages whenever you want it.

(Personally, I'd always prefer Siduction _over_ Debian Live, but some
people claim to be nervous about something based on Debian-unstable.)
I WILL HAVE TO TRY SIDUCTION IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

> Since that live CD includes partition tools and dd and other things, I could use it as the rescue disk.

Yeah, you _could_.  But it's not great for that.

> I would be interested in what should be the minimum selection of tools
> on a rescue disk?

Well, what do you want to be able to do?
MANY NEW COMPUTERS DO NOT HAVE AN OPTICAL DRIVE.  IT WILLHAVE TO BE ON A USB.  THIS ELIMINATES THE CONSTRAINT OF PACKING ITIN LESS THAN 700MB.IN PREVIOUS EMAIL,

MENTION WAS MADE OF PARTITION TOOL AND WRITING ZEROS.
VIRTUALLY ALL LIVE DISTROS INCLUDE SOME PARTITION TOOL.
IF YOU LIKE fdisk, FINE.  PERSONALLY I WOULD PREFER A GUII HAVE USED fdisk SO SELDOM THAT I WOULD SPEND 90% OF
MY EFFORT FIGURING OUT EXACTLY WHAT TO TYPE.

THE FOLLOWING WILL FILL THE PARTITION WITH ZEROS.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

ALTERNATIVELY YOU COULD MOUNT THE PARTITION AND USE
THE FOLLOWING TO CREATE A FILE NAMED ZEROS.
dd if=/dev/zero of=<PATH>/ZEROS bs=1M
I HAVE USED THE LATER.  WHEN THE PARTITION IS FULL, THEPROCESSES TERMINATES WITH AN ERROR, BUT THE FILE IS GOOD.

> A related question is, how difficult is it to create a new live CD?
> I mean creating a new ISO file.  Or modifying an existing ISO.  The
> answer could be as short as, "It ain't easy".  Or maybe it really
> isn't too difficult.  Then one could create a custom rescue drive.

The verbs you want to search on for any given distro are probably either
'remaster' or 'respin'.  So, for example, searching 'remaster debian'
brings up a bunch of links of interest.  Which see.
YES THAT SEARCH GIVES MANY HITS. AND THE FIRST ONE I LOOKED ATSUGGESTED A USE THAT WAS BEHIND MY ORIGINAL QUESTION.
SAVE A NEW CUSTOM INSTALL INCLUDING THE BUNCH OF APS
THAT I WANT.

But personally, I'd just use one of the excellent maintenance-focussed
distros that already exist.  (And, again, _if_ I encountered an irritating
lack of good Linux driver support in, say, SuperRescueCD for some
spanking-new chipset, say, a SATA chip that is really new, I'd reach for
Siduction because of its very current kernel, hence driver collection
and hardware-recognition.)

AGAIN, WHAT TOOLS WOULD I WANT IN SUCH A DISTRO?