[conspire] Scam du jour

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 31 10:39:05 PDT 2018

I wrote:

> I might actually telephone the US Marshals Service today, now that
> they're actually open, to advise them that someone is apparently
> carrying out a scam in their name (which seems a bit bold, actually).

Done.  The agent says there is a gang that has been working this scam
for a while, changing the numbers they use, and the Service is working
to track them down.  And yes, he says people really do fall for it.
I provided a brief account with what information I had.

(I didn't ask what the back half of the scam is, if one falls for the
hook and goad.)

Pretending to be the US Marshals Service is pretty ballsy.  Even dumb
criminals aren't usually that reckless.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marshals_Service