[conspire] Why to be skeptical about IT reporting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 9 16:47:47 PDT 2018

Correcting, because I'm sure y'all are scandalised:

> Author Hawkins's problem, I would guess was over-reliance on
> Brian Krebs' cited primary-source article

That would be Brian _Krebs's_ article -- just in case any of you were
thinking it was an article written by a multitude of people all named
Brian Kreb.

As E.B. White wrote in the foreward to his re-issue and revision of
WIlliam Strunk's _The Elements of Style_:

  Some years ago, when the heir to the throne of England was a child, I
  noticed a headline in the _Times_ about Bonnie Prince Charlie:
  "CHARLES' TONSILS OUT."  Immediately Rule 1 leapt to mind.

  1. Form the possessive singular of nouns by adding 's.  Follow this rule
  whatever the final consonant.  Thus write,

  Charles's friend
  Burns's poems
  the witch's malice

  Clearly, Will Strunk had foreseen, as far back as 1918, the dangerous
  tonsillectomy of a prince, in which the surgeon removes the tonsils and
  the _Times_ copy desk removes the final s. He started his book with it. I
  commend Rule 1 to the Times, and I trust that Charles's throat, not
  Charles' throat, is in fine shape today.

rick at linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.
McQ!  (4x80)