[conspire] Fwd: Equifax data theft - this is a big deal

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Sun Sep 10 10:23:43 PDT 2017

There have been a number of concerns with the site Equifax set up to
deal with the compromise.

First of all, people noted that putting in last name "Test" and last six digits of SSN "123456" told them they were vulnerable.  I've seen a lot of "Smith 123456" and "Smith 000000" showing positive as well, but it does seem there are negative results.  Either way, giving six digits of SSN seems like more than I'd be willing to do over a Web site like this.

Second, even if you do accept that the result of the site is accurate,
it encourages you to do two things:

    1: Purchase services from Equifax to "protect" you.  This is a crass
       upsell.
    2: Waive your right to join a class-action lawsuit against Equifax.
       This is simply crass.

I do not know what the best course of action to take would be, but this
does not seem to be it.