[conspire] Elise's laptop

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Sep 3 23:49:47 PDT 2017

Quoting Dana Goyette (danagoyette at gmail.com):

> Intel Bay Trail is a SoC (System on a Chip), and that platform has more
> problems with Linux support than the more standard platforms.
>
> Most Bay Trail systems have a 64-bit CPU but 32-bit EFI, so the OS can be
> installed in EFI mode if you use a 32-bit EFI version of Grub.  This site
> has a script to make adjustments like this to the Ubuntu ISOs:
> https://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com

Specific link for that script below.

Lots of hits when searching about Bay Trail badness when doing Linux,
including random freezes, such as:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-Linux-Bay-Trail-Fail
http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2016/10/running-ubuntu-on-intel-bay-trail-and.html
http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com.au/2017/06/customizing-ubuntu-isos-documentation.html

The script makes alterations to a *buntu or Mint (etc.) 64-bit ISO's
contents while copying it to a USB flash stick for installation, so that
you can boot (as you describe) a 64-bit OS from a 32-bit bootloader, and
make other changes like upgrading the OS kernel and a bunch of other
improvements.

So, maybe we should go with the flow and use that with Lubuntu.

The one thing that puzzles me about that is whether it really makes
sense to install a x86_64 distro (instead of an IA32 one) on a netbook
that almost certainly has only 2GB RAM.  IIRC, x86_64 has advantages
really only if you have over 4GB RAM.  But otherwise, looks like a good
plan.