[conspire] Elise's laptop

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Sep 3 22:41:02 PDT 2017

I wrote:

> 2.  After experimenting, he also gave up on the internal wifi chip and
> bought a $9 USB-wifi adapter off Amazon that works better.
> https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-150Mbps-Raspberry-Supports/dp/B003MTTJOY
> He says the notebook's internal chip just isn't very good, with range
> and dropout problems.  It is a very good idea to have in your possession
> any such software at the time of Linux conversion, so you might wish to
           ^^^^^^^^
> order such a thing now.

Er, I mean _hardware_.  Point is, if you wish to mail-order such a thing
online and have it in your custody before the CABAL meeting, you should
order it really soon because of delivery delay.

When I mentioned that the SDRAM memory stick in your notebook is type
'DDR3L', I mean that's a special low-voltage (hence 'L') variety, and
are not compatible with regular DDR3 memory.  But that's trivia.  More
important:  Further reading suggests that the Stream 11 series has RAM
integrated into (soldered permanently onto) the motherboard, which would
be why it's considered 'not user serviceable'.  So, whatever total RAM
your notebook has is the maximum it can have, because there's no RAM
socket, not even one you get to by taking the chassis apart.  (If you're
lucky, maybe yours shipped with 4GB RAM, but 2GB is more likely.

Since upgrading RAM is not going to be a go, if you ever find the
notebook's 32GB SSD cramped, the obvious remedy would be to buy and plug
into it as 16, 32, or 64GB SD card, as additional storage.  They're
really cheap, under $20.

In theory, you could also replace the 32GB SSD with one the same
physical size but more capacity, _but_ that requires dissembling the
chassis, which would be not difficult but a little tedious.  Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A8IYOwe7EY