[conspire] sous vide question.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Oct 24 21:19:59 PDT 2017

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):

> >I will have to think about water circulation, the shape of the pot,
> >and how the bag(s) might hinder flow.
>
> Water circulation is going to raise the cost of everything pretty
> much and it may not be that useful depending on the size of the pot
> etc...
> At that point you'd better start from scratch.

Water (non-pure) is a reasonably good conductor of heat.  Also, water
being heated by an element on one side of a container _convects_ heat
quite well.  I suspect the result is that temperature of said water is
close enough to uniform as makes no difference.

If Paul wants to test that hypothesis, he's welcome to play around with
skillets of water on my stove and poke around the insides with my
Thermapen (http://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4), possibly the most
Mad Scientist-appealing instrument in my kitchen, although not as fun as
the crème brûlée blowtorch.

Meanwhile, I wanted to put in another word of appreciation for the lowly
crockpot, my pair of which just turned a litre of chopped carrots from
my garden into this, overnight -- worth waiting for:
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/249990/carrot-soup/

(Since I'm on a Lao Tzu kick today:  'Nature does not hurry, yet
everything is accomplished.')