[conspire] Reminder: CABAL this Saturday, Oct. 21st

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sun Oct 22 09:13:37 PDT 2017

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 01:37:19 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> I also have a new little Linux box to play with, a mini-PC Zotac.

This was of particular interest to me as a possible alternative gigabit
gateway.[0] What I hoped to compare it to is the PCEngines APU series.[1]
At first, it[2] seemed like a contender. Disappointing:

         Zotac                                          PCEngines
------------------------                        ------------------------
      Intel 2961Y                CPU[3]               AMD GX-412TC
        Realtek                 Ethernet                  Intel
         4GB[4]                   RAM                      4GB
        AMI EFI                   BIOS                  Coreboot
        Windows            Main target market             *nix
         $125                 System price                $180

[0] https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/numbers-dont-lie-its-time-to-build-your-own-router/
[1] http://pcengines.ch/apu2c4.htm and http://pcengines.ch/apu3b4.htm
[2] https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/ci321-nano-plus
[3] http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/887/AMD_G-Series_GX-412TC_vs_Intel_Mobile_Celeron_Dual-Core_2961Y.html
The GX-412HC is the TC with an on-die GPU:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2473&cmp[]=2485
[4] This is already old RAM, so its availability for future upgrades is
just not that likey.