[conspire] (forw) Installfest tomorrow

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 20 22:59:53 PDT 2017

----- Forwarded message from Ronan Pigott <rpigott at berkeley.edu> -----

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 16:00:33 -0700
From: Ronan Pigott <rpigott at berkeley.edu>
To: installers at linuxmafia.com
Subject: Installfest tomorrow

Hey guys,

My name is Ronan and I'm interested in coming to the installfest tomorrow.

After using Linux for a while on remote and virtual machines, I tried
installing Linux myself for the first time yesterday. Unfortunately, I
don't think I was successful because my system is unable to shutdown with
the the `reboot` or `shutdown` commands, hanging and forcing me to power
off the system on each shutdown.

My google-fu has failed me so far, and I haven't been able to find
appropriate advice on forums, but I did find your website
<http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/> and this E-mail. I want to ask if this
meeting if this meeting would be appropriate for a new user like me, and is
it possible I could find someone who could help me get Linux working?

What I can bring:

Dell XPS 15 9560 Laptop - The device I want to install Linux on. It has a
working windows partition that I am able to boot from grub, and an
apparently broken installation of Arch Linux that I can boot, but cannot
shut down. Neither installation has files or data that I wish to preserve.

Arch install media - The flash drive I used with the Arch Linux iso. It is
standard to the best of my knowledge. I downloaded it from
https://www.archlinux.org/download/.

Windows install media - For the worst case scenario.

Thanks,

Ronan Pigott

----- End forwarded message -----