[conspire] Where you want to be, Friday night

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed May 17 17:46:21 PDT 2017

I'd like to invite people on Conspire (if local) to join me and a bunch
of friends this Friday evening in Redwood City to have dinner, good
company, and a celebration of Norway's National Day -- formally
Nasjonaldagen (National day) and informally just 'syttende mai', 17th of
May.  Which is to say, _today_, but locally we're gathering on Friday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Constitution_Day

Why should you come to this?

Because it's fun.  Because we're cooking up a really good dinner, having
good live music, having a (short) speech for the occasion, and because
you'd like to meet a bunch of friendly folk in my local Sons of Norway
group.

No, nobody cares you're not Norwegian.  This is explicitly an occasion
when the Norwegian community lets its hair down and welcomes everyone,
sort of like attending a Passover seder except there's no ritual and the
food's better.  ;->

Picture of me holding up the flyer is attached.  Text says:

   SYTTENDE MAI CELEBRATION
     May 18, 2017  6:30 PM

You are cordially invited to celebrate
         SYTTENDE MAI

  Vigeland Lodge 6-155 - Sons of Norway
       6:30 PM Appetizers
       7:00 PM Dinner

  Speaker: Tor Arild
  Entertainment: Nordahl Grieg Spelemannslag
  Highland Community Club
  1665 Fernside Street, Redwood City
  RSVP by Tuesday, May 16.  Please call
  Carol Campbell, (650) 851-1463

  Hurra!  Hurra!

  Adults: $20,00
  Children 12 & under: $5.00
  Under 5: free

(Yes, your RSVP if you call Carol today is a day late, but that's
OK.  Tell Carol I said so.  But today, not later than that, because
we need to know how many people are coming no later than tomorrow
morning to buy groceries.)

Syttende Mai is distinctive among national days in that it's (1)
completely non-military, and (2) has always had a focus on children.
In Norway, it's basically one long nation-sized party.

Today's Syttende Mai celebration in Norway, in the news:
https://www.thelocal.no/20170513/celebrating-17-may-in-norway-a-guide-for-first-timers

Come join us.  Give it a try; you might surprise yourself and have a
good time.  (Just remember to call in your RSVP tonight.)