[conspire] storing passwords

Rich Bodo richbodo at gmail.com
Wed May 3 11:43:04 PDT 2017

Love that password manager, Don!  I was just looking for a new one and this
thread popped up.

Somewhat related, I have been working with windows users who are, as of
late, much more concerned with the security of their documents.  If had to
windows to find things that were simple enough to work for them.

Here is what I came up with.  If you have to teach windows users to use
encryption, you could do worse than starting with these:

http://richbodo.pbworks.com/w/page/117218100/Simple%20Encryption%20Programs

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> wrote:

> begin Rick Moen quotation of Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:44:02AM -0700:
> > Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):
> >
> > > I totally understand the need to have different passwords for
> different accounts.  I also seem to have a limit on the number of brain
> cells for this.
> >
> > This is a wise and astute comment.  The biggest problem with passwords
> > is that we need to create, reliably remember, and occasionally change
> > quite a lot of them, that any compromosing of password complexity
> > or duplication makes them a lot weaker, and that the human brain simply
> > can't do all that.
>
> Things that people are really bad at: remembering
> strings of high-entropy text.
>
> Thing that most web site security depends on: making
> users remember strings of high-entropy text.
>
> I use "pass" which I can sync among devices without
> trusting the server too much:
>
>   https://www.passwordstore.org/
>
> You do have to have GPG working first (and it helps
> to know git), but once you have that it's pretty
> straightforward.
>
> protip: if you want to keep people who do web
> development from trusting their data to your web
> site, disallow passowrds containg quotation marks,
> percent signs,  or semicolons.
>
> --
> Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>
> http://zgp.org/~dmarti/