[conspire] storing passwords

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Thu Mar 30 09:33:45 PDT 2017

I totally understand the need to have different passwords for different accounts.  I also seem to have a limit on the number of brain cells for this.
What I have been doing is to take the name of a bank, for example, and mess around with capitalization and number substitution.  Each of the several banks then has a unique password. If a computer got the password for one bank, it would only work at that bank.  However, if I wrote down the password, I am sure that anyone on this list could make a correct guess for a different bank.
I am sure this is a lot better than using 1234 for everything.
BTW, my user name is also deliberately not consistent across different websites, but I only think of this as weak protection.
Side issue: I recently had to jump through some security hoops when calling a credit card company.  I was the one initiating the conversation.  They insisted that I had to have the answer to a security question. I was told it began with "B", but my mind went blank. In hindsight, the answer had been so obvious when I had first created it, that I hadn't recorded it in my offline password base ... I was simultaneously frustrated and apologetic because I knew that they needed to be cautious.   Eventually they called me back on a number in their records. ...
Then they said I needed to set up a new question / answer.  "What is your favorite place to vacation?"  I already knew they could prompt with the first letter of the answer.  If the answer was,"Hawaii", how easy would it be to guess the answer given "H"?  So I was on the line for a while longer until I found something less obvious.